Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1993)

Subject: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books
From: Vivian Neou <vivian @ nisc . sri . com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 93 15:36:30 PST
To: Sean Brunnock <brunnock @ cambridge . apple . com>
Cc: vivian @ NISC . SRI . COM, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Here's a list of some other books that would be helpful.  As a
warning, I do have a personal interest in the first two as I helped to
put them together!

"Internet: Mailing Lists", Hardie & Neou.  This is a directory of over
 800 mailing lists that are available on the Internet (it is a
hardcopy version of the "List of Lists").  In addition to the
listings, it also explains the most common methods for joining mailing
lists, and also provides some "etiquette" guidelines for using lists.
$29. Available now.

"Internet: Getting Started", Marine, Kirkpatrick, Ward, Neou.  Explains
how to join the Internet, and has lists of resources.  Also explains
e-mail, ftp, etc.  $29. It will be available from PH at the beginning of
Feb.

FYI 4 "FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to Commonly asked "New
Internet User" Questions".  Available online via anonymous FTP in
RFC/FYI repositories around the Internet.  ftp.nisc.sri.com is one
such location.

FYI 7 "FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to Commonly asked
"Experienced Internet User" Questions".  Available online via
anonymous FTP in RFC/FYI repositories around the Internet.
ftp.nisc.sri.com is one such location.

FYI 10 "Ther's Gold in Them Thar Networks! or Searching for Treasure
in All the Wrong Places". Available online via anonymous FTP in
RFC/FYI repositories around the Internet.  ftp.nisc.sri.com is one
such location.

"The Internet Companion: A Beginner's Guide to Global Networking",
Tracy LaQuey; Addison-Wesley.  I can't find my copy right now but
I think it did have some information on the procedures for joining
mailing lists.

Vivian Neou

Indexed By Date Previous: list of beginner's InterNet books