Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1993)

Subject: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books
From: Gess Shankar <gess @ knex . via . mind . ORG>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 93 07:01:58 EST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Sean Brunnock <emory!cambridge.apple.com!brunnock> writes:

> A novice sent a subscription request to a mailing list that
> I manage, a common event for all of us I'm certain.
>
> I sent him my standard rebuke ("Please contact your systems administrator
> about how to properly subscribe to a mailing list"), but he replied that
> there was no one there who could answer his question. One would think
> that the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory could afford one guru.

Is there such a thing as "how to properly subscribe to a mailing list"?
There are many different flavors of list servers and each has its own
way of sending commands and submissions. Two most common errors appear to be
sending commands to the list or sending a request to server not using
the proper command syntax. e.g. "please add my name to this great list".

Instead of sending a "standard rebuke", why not send a detailed help file
telling him how to subscribe properly to the list in question?

Or am I missing something? Is there really such a thing as "how to properly
subscribe to a mailing list"?

GeSS
--
Gess Shankar      |<><>|Internet: gess@knex.via.mind.ORG                |<><>|
Mmos2-L Admin.    |<><>|{rutgers,ogicse,gatech}!emory!uumind!knex!gess  |<><>|

From: Christophe Wolfhugel <Christophe.Wolfhugel@grasp.insa-lyon.fr>
Next: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books
From: "Michael H. Morse" <mmorse@z.nsf.gov>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books
From: Scott Ophof <ophof@SERVER.uwindsor.ca>
Next: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books
From: Vivian Neou <vivian@nisc.sri.com>