Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1993)

Subject: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books
From: "Michael H. Morse" <mmorse @ z . nsf . gov>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1993 17:29:37 EST
To: Dave Hayes <dave @ elxr . jpl . Nasa . gov>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> One way to solve some of this dilemna would be to only advertise the "<list>-request"
> address as the way of contacting the list, and then provide an automatic help file
> as a blanket response to people who mail to that address...

This has the advantage that it has long been an Internet tradition.
The disadvantage is that it is quite foreign to those brought up on the
BITNET, which, from my experience, is still a very significant group.

One of the reasons we've resisted this approach in the past is that we
are also a BITNET host, and some (anyone care to make a guess what
percentage?) BITNET sites cannot send mail to addresses that have over
8 characters.

--Mike

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books