Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1993)

Subject: How to deal with bounces
From: dupuy @ tiemann . cs . columbia . edu (Alexander Dupuy)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 18:30:49 EST
To: brent @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> #  Note that some SMTP servers accept neither EXPN nor VRFY (the default
> # Zmailer configuration, for example).
> #
> # 	- cks

> Further, even some that do accept EXPN and VRFY don't always tell you
> what you want to know.

> The common problem I see is that folks wanting to check
> "user@company.com" TELNET to the gateway machine, then do "vrfy user".
> The gateway machine quite rightly returns "no such user", since there
> _isn't_ any such user ON THE GATEWAY MACHINE.  If they had instead
> done "vrfy user@company.com", they would have gotten back "address OK"
> (which still doesn't tell them whether or not the user actually
> exists; it just tells them that the gateway knows how to handle mail
> addressed to "*@company.com").

Just wanted to note that the expn.c program I posted to this list a while back
does use the fully qualified address first, and then tries the local name only
in the event of a mailer which can't deal with requests to EXPN or VRFY
addresses with @ in them.  It also tries both EXPN and VRFY, so except for
mailers which don't support either, it gets a response.

@alex

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: list of beginner's InterNet books