Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1993)

Subject: Re: Header fields to change or add before distributing
From: Raphael Manfredi <ram @ eiffel . com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 93 11:48:41 PST
To: Christophe Wolfhugel <Christophe . Wolfhugel @ grasp . insa-lyon . fr>
Cc: berg @ pool . informatik . rwth-aachen . de (Stephen R. van den Berg), list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Quoting Christophe Wolfhugel:
> Stephen R. van den Berg said:
> |- Add Precedence: bulk
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong: bulk will not generate error messages
> (bounce, user unknown, etc..) ?

There is nothing mentionned in the Sendmail Operation Guide. The Precedence
field is used to compute the priority in the queue. A special low low priority
may be set by adding in sendmail.cf something like:

	Pbulk=-1000

Also vacation-like program do not send a vacation message if there is a
Precedence header set to either bulk or junk.

I think some site do not bounce back the whole message tagged with a bulk
precedence, but only extract the header. You should still get error messages
though, or it's a design flaw (since NOT getting something back usually means
it arrived correctly).

> Also, what is your position regarding other fields like extended ones
> (X-Face and stuff) ?

It might not be a good idea. For instance, assuming I am turning this list
into a newsgroup via my mailagent and then ask inews to e-mail me everything
posted to the newsgroup so that I can forward it to the whole list. My account
acting as a gateway, I would like to avoid loops, i.e. posting to the newsgroup
something which I have already seen and forwarded to the list, or something
inews sends me back after the initial posting by the mailagent. For that purpose,
the mailagent adds an X-Filter line. If the mailing list gateway strips it, then
I'm stuck and will have a loop with no control over it.
--
Raphael Manfredi <ram@eiffel.com>
Interactive Software Engineering Inc.