Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1993)

Subject: UNIX listserv
From: chk @ alias . com (C. Harald Koch)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1993 11:14:09 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

It appears that Anastasios' UNIX listserv adds the following header to all
outgoing messages:

Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas

I find this somewhat annoying.

1) It's not a valid RFC 822 header.

2) Under current copyright law, it means that Anastasios is claiming
   copyright on all *messages* sent through his listserv software. This is
   clearly not the intent, but it is the result.

I have no objection to copyrighted software, but the copyright does not
belong in the data processed by the software.

I urge you to check your listservs and remove the code that inserts this
header.

--
Main's Law: For every       | C. Harald Koch  Alias Research, Inc. Toronto, ON
action, there is an equal   | chk@alias.com                (work-related mail)

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Header fields to change or add before distributing