Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

From: psrc @ pegasus . att . com (Paul S R Chisholm)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 1995 07:32 EST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

One of the mailing lists I subscribe to (Patterns) has moved to a
digest format.  Specifically, it has headers such as:

which I guess is the standard way of encoding multipart messages in
MIME.

My personal preference would be to not get the mailing list as a MIME
digest.  I have a text-only interface to my current e-mail server, and
use a MIME-compliant mailx that invokes metamail.  This is less nice,
IMHO, than pumping all the bits through my favorite pager and skipping
ahead manually.  People with wizzy MIME readers may prefer the new
format.  The first few messages had some problems, which seem to have
been cleared up.

(I've registered my preference with the list manager, and I've
been heard.  I respect the right of the list manager to run the list
the way he or she wants.)

Are there many digestified lists out there moving to MIME digests?  (I
get List-Managers as a digest; it doesn't use the MIME convention.)  Do
people think this is "the wave of the future" for list digests, and if
so, when might it dominate plain old text digests?

Paul S. R. Chisholm        PersonaLink is a service    psrc@pegasus.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories/          mark of AT&T        AT&T Mail !psrchisholm
AT&T PersonaLink(sm) Services                      Paul_Chisholm@attpls.net
I'm not speaking for the company or anyone else, I'm just speaking my mind.

Indexed By Date Previous: Stupid users