Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

Subject: Re: Posting list addresses
From: PMDAtropos @ aol . com
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 1995 16:50:36 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Stephanie da Silva writes:
>I was recently on a mailing list that formed an adhoc committee [ ... ]
>When it was brought up that the primary reason for the AOL influx was
because
>of  the AOL mailing list database, most of the people on the committee were
>surprised to find out of the existance of this database, much less the
>mailing list was on it without their knowledge.

I'm pretty surprised to find this out, myself. What's the name of the list?
You can send it to me privately, no need to publicize it. If the list *was*
added to our database without any contact with the list owners, it wasn't
with *my* permission.

>I think the point I'm trying to make is it's hard for people to ask you to
>make changes when they don't even know something is there that might be in
>need of their input.

And as I've written, we go out of our way to contact list owners about their
entries or potential entries (though there are occasions when list owners
don't reply, even after repeated messages to them). That is why I am
surprised to hear of the list mentioned above. I can think of a few lists
which are similar in nature, but either I or my partner/assistant have been
in contact with the owners of those lists in the past.

--
___David O'Donnell (atropos@aol.net, PMDAtropos@aol.com)
\  America Online Postmaster, USENET Admin	| Tel. +1 703/556-3725