Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 1995 14:29:24 -0800 (PST)
To: Per Starback <starback @ Minsk . DoCS . UU . SE>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995, Per Starback wrote:
> My ideal would be one single source about publicly accessible mailing
> lists.  Only one place to look: if it isn't there, it's not public.
> Only one place to update entries in.  If you update it there, the
> change will soon spread to other places too.

But the Internet doesn't like centralized anything (a mantra one can and
should repeat over and over).  What would be *nice* is an RFC describing
standard public mailing list behavior, with a standard mailing list
management package address (like what is now mainly majordomo@host or
listserv@host, but it should be non-softwarepackage-specific) and a
standard set of commands for learning about the lists offered and any
other special information about them.  Then robots could be written to
traverse the net looking for lists, keeping lists-of-lists up to date,
etc.  Any takers?

	Brian