Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

From: woods @ ncar . ucar . edu (Greg Woods)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 95 16:58:24 MST
To: nruggles @ panix . com (Neil Ruggles)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

First off, I don't think bribing list owners is the answer. You might be
able to get a list owner to accept the bribe, but this would devalue the
list and piss the subscribers off. You might get your ad posted this way,
but you aren't likely to get a positive response to your product. What I
think you should do is:

1) Carefully pick the lists you post to. What you are selling had better
   be *directly* relevant to the list topic. Otherwise you're just spamming.
   If you aren't absolutely certain that it is relevant to a particular
   list, ask the list manager.

2) KEEP IT SHORT. You don't necessarily have to post ALL the relevant
   info in the first posting, just enough to get some people interested
   in finding out more.

3) Avoid marketing hype. Don't say things like "we continue to lead
   the industry..."  That turns people off. You can save that stuff
   for your Web server or your glossy brochures, that people have to
   come to *you* for.

These are strictly my own personal opinions, based on the fact that for most
lists I subscribe to, I would not personally object to seeing a new product
announcement that met these criteria.

--Greg