Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

Subject: List Managers as Public Servants
From: sds @ jazzie . com (Sean Shapira)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 01:18:55 -0800 (PST)
To: nruggles @ panix . com (Neil Ruggles)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, woods @ ncar . ucar . edu

Neil Ruggles wrote:
> On 2/21 Greg Woods wrote:
> >First off, I don't think bribing list owners is the answer.
>
> You refer to "paying for the use of a mailing list" as a "bribe,"
> [...]  Let's look at this another way.  [...]  I challenge the
> entrepreneurs reading this list to think differently about
> the lists they manage.

Neil seems to have missed Greg's point:  many (probably
most) list managers are acting as public servants, not
entrepreneurs.

His analogy to magazine editors is poor; city workers who
sweep streets seems much closer.  It is as if Neil were
suggesting street sweepers could be financed by advertisers
paying them to scatter leaflets on the street, instead of
sweeping them into the trash where they belong.

I for one commend Greg on his use of the term bribe....

--
Sean Shapira         sds@jazzie.com         (206) 443-2028