Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

From: Alan Millar <amillar @ bolis . sf-bay . org>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 12:04:32 -0800 (PST)
To: jbuckman @ shelby . com (John Buckman)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Verily didst John Buckman sayeth:
> And finally: has no-one noticed that the signature lines at the bottom of
> each person's email message is in fact an advertisement?

Everyone already knows that the signature is likely to contain an
advertisement, and nobody mistakes the signature for the message body.
It is often limited to about four lines by peer pressure.  And, in fact,
there are moderated lists and newsgroups that remove anything but name
and address from message signatures at the moderator's discretion.

The real problem is when people take the time to read a message,
expecting it to contain objective, "useful" (by whatever definition the
list uses) content only to find sales pitch and hype.

- Alan

----
Alan Millar           E-Mail: amillar@bolis.SF-Bay.org
System Administrator   Web:  ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/am/amillar/welcome.html
$RELATIVE went to $LOCATION_NAME and all they got me was this lousy signature