Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

Subject: Re: List-Managers-Digest V4 #32
From: elendil @ mintir . new-orleans . la . us (Edward J. Branley)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 95 17:06:22 CST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Brian Behlendorf <rex!!brian> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Gene Rackow wrote:
> > Also, AOL sends back a message for each message and user that goes to AOL.
> > If I bounced 8 addresses at any other site for 10 messages, I would get
> > back 10 errors, not 80.  AOL is accepting the mail as valid, then splitting
> > it out, and failing on each delivery, not the total package.  I haven't see
> > any other site broken in that way.
> Hmm.  That's not my experience.  I get back AOL bounce messages with
> multiple incorrect addresses all the time.  Now, if AOL were able to
> immediately reject an address as invalid then that bounce information
> could be combined with all the others I get when sendmail is done
> processing that particular list....
>       Brian

I've had it happen once the way you describe, over last weekend.  Everything
before that was 1 bounce message for every message sent to a full mailbox.

 |Edward J. Branley         |
 |Seashell Software                            +1.504.455.5087 (voice)|
 |3508 North Woodlawn Ave, Metairie, LA  70006   +1.504.455.8665 (bbs)|

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: List Managers as Public Servants