Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

From: nruggles @ panix . com (Neil Ruggles)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 12:10:14 -0500
To: woods @ ncar . ucar . edu (Greg Woods)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>In short, because there are ads, the
>subscribers get the magazine for less. This analogy does *NOT* carry
>over to most Internet mail lists. These lists are, as a rule, free to
>subscribers.

Greg,

I receive several magazines for free because of my position and line of
work. I also get a community newspaper for free. Both the magazines and the
newspaper are supported entirely by advertising and mailing list rentals. I
agree that advertising is not NEEDED to support most existing internet
mailing lists since they are free.

>Therefore, anyone who uses these lists to
>advertise a product is getting a free ride,

I disagree though about who is getting the free ride. You suggest it is the
advertiser who would be getting the handout. I suggest its the READER today
who is getting the handout. Your own words say that the cost of many lists
is being born by entities OTHER than list subscribers. I suspect quite of
few of those lists have little to do with the paying entity's mission.
Isn't that the definition of a handout?

Neil Ruggles

RUGGLES INTERACTIVE MEDIA                                   (718) 476-3692
35-45 78 Street, Suite 52                                   (718) 426-3370 fax
Jackson Heights, NY 11372                                   nruggles@panix.com

            Innovative marketing, promotion, and advertising
        using CDROM, phone/fax, online services, and the Internet

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Strange addressing