Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1995)

From: sds @ jazzie . com (Sean Shapira)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 1995 14:07:46 -0800 (PST)
To: nruggles @ panix . com (Neil Ruggles)
Cc: ddt @ lsd . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Neil Ruggles continues to ask agitating questions:
> [Would you] rather have a vendor "sneak" their promotions
> into your list by having a third party say good things about
> them, or have the promotions clearly identified as as such?

If I have to see promotions, I strongly prefer those
from people who actively participate in a list over
those from people who don't.

It doesn't matter much whether promotions are from
first-parties or from third-party "sneaks".  What
matters is that the promoters are members of the
community using the list, and not "outside agitators".

That said, Neil undoubtedly knows (and will be reminded
by others ;-) that most netizens consider it unethical
to make a testimonial without openly announcing any
financial relationship between the testifier and the
provider of the product or service in question.

--
Sean Shapira         sds@jazzie.com         (206) 443-2028
*  Offering services to the email community since 1990.  *