Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: "Dr. Manion" <CEO @ Citadel . Net>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 15:19:46 +0000
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <citadel@citadel.net>

Two possible ways to verify users is by their Credit Card Numbers and
their Phone Numbers. People, may have several credit cards, but few
will go out and change their phone number every two or three weeks,
just to have access to AOL.

It seems to me that AOL could assign one email address to a user and
track them by their phone number. That way, they can't bomb a list.
Abandon the email address and come back and do it again under another
email address from AOL.

I have had similar problems with AOL responding to requests for help
with their subscribers. Total silence. And, yes I was very polite
back then. Now, I just terminate the people.

Leonard

On  2 Feb 97 ,Tim Bowden insightfully wrote:

> Brad Knowles <brad@his.com> writes:
>
> > 	We verify credit cards interactively.  You cannot use a fake
> > credit card number to get an AOL account.  I'm not sure what else you
> > might mean by "unverified accounts", though.
>
> Possibly:  a verified user simply switches his account name.  He is
> now BombasterX@aol.com.  He sends a stream of garbage, perhaps even
> a load of system demands to the last list he was justifiably kicked
> off.  He drops his alias before the material comes back, which of
> course bounces, which of course adds a heavy load to the system
> he's bombing, which was his intent.
>
> Here's my experience:  if I complain about an isolated user to AOL,
> there is a chance I will see a rather prompt, courtesous, and helpful
> reply.  If I bring to them a possible liability, such as the above
> (which I have), I will hear total silence.  They will not so much
> as acknowledge my mail.
>
> Now, this may've been 1995, and it may have been rare, but there
> was some dud on AOL sent a resource bomb as I've described to
> bring down my small system, and AOL did not respond to my repeated
> demands they take action and inform.  I suspect from that the legal
> department kicks in whenever there is potential for liability, and
> I wonder if other listowners have seen that sort of non-response.
>

> ---
> mailto:tcbowden@clovis.nerdnosh.org (Tim Bowden)
> Proud member of NERDNOSH (tm)!
> mailto:info@clovis.nerdnosh.org
> http://www.corcom.com/reloj/Nerdnosh.html

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Educating large masses of users