Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Educating large masses of users (Fantasy)
From: Alan Deikman <alan @ znyx . com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 14:37:52 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>What if
>	- there were a standard listmanager protocol for commands
>	- mail clients knew that protocol, and how to query list-servers
>	  about supported features
>	- mail clients maintained lists of active subscriptions, and
>	  provided intelligent support for posting, suspending,
>	  un-subscribing, etc
>
>Then our clueless users would have push-button support for what they
>want to do.

Until these suggestions get implemented, perhaps the following might
suffice:

   "Thank you for subscribing to our list.  To make your subscription
    active, please read the instructions for how to behave on the list
    and how to unsubscribe, then write a short essay in your own
    words on the procedures and e-mail it to us.  If the essay
    indicates that you actually understood the instructions, you
    will then be subscribed.

    If, for any reason, it turns out later that you need the list
    manager's assistance to unsubscribe, you agree to pay $5 for
    the service.  Please provide your First Virtual PIN for this
    purpose."

Well, it IS a fantasy.

Regards,

  Alan Deikman, ZNYX Corporation
  alan@znyx.com

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: The Manion and Knowles Love Fest