Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 00:30:36 -0500
To: Jailbait <jailbait @ apocalypse . org>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:39 AM -0500 2/5/1997, Jailbait wrote:

>Minor problem.
>The abusers spend a couple of hours figuring it out once and then
>can get a new
>throw-away, turn it off in seconds, and spam away.
>
>I think that time-in-service based only is much more likely to be useful.

	You can't just flat refuse to allow people who are in their fifty
hour trial period to send to the Internet, no matter what.  That
simply will not fly -- there are all sorts of system-type things that
are "mission critical" (i.e., if you can't log in, you can't go
anywhere else), but email (and Internet email in particular) is
really the only mission critical "application".  We might as well all
go home and turn the lights out, if we refused to allow any new user
during their initial fifty hour period to send Internet mail.

	No, we have to find alternative solutions.

	One that requires that users learn something about the Internet,
how it works, netiquette, etc..., and then once you've figured enough
out about the system you can find out where you can turn off the
training wheels (or restrictions, or whatever might get implemented),
is potentially feasible.

	I'm sure there are other feasible alternatives, but if you ever
signed up with a Bank, and they didn't allow you to use any ATMs in
the first three months of your new account, I think you'd find
another bank pretty quickly.  Flat refusing access (even if it's just
for a limited time) to basic services simply will not work, period.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad@his.com
    comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer     <http://www.his.com/~brad/>