Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: fresh horror from AOL
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 23:35:05 -0800
To: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>, Jailbait <jailbait @ apocalypse . org>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 9:30 PM -0800 2/5/97, Brad Knowles wrote:

>	You can't just flat refuse to allow people who are in their fifty
>hour trial period to send to the Internet, no matter what.

>	No, we have to find alternative solutions.

How about -- while you're in your fifty hours, you can only send e-mail
to one address at a time. No limits on the NUMBER of mails you can
send, but only one address per mail. That solves the problem of signups
sending thousands of spams (unless they want to do it the really hard
way. I suppose you could automate it, but the upload time for 10,000
separate emails would eat that 50 hours quickly....), and few of the
legitimate users would notice the limitation or be seriously hurt by it.

>	I'm sure there are other feasible alternatives, but if you ever
>signed up with a Bank, and they didn't allow you to use any ATMs in
>the first three months of your new account, I think you'd find
>another bank pretty quickly.

No, but you can limit whether they give you overdraft protection
without a track record, have a smaller per-day limit for removals,
limit ability to cash checks iwth cash back, until they know you arne't
spoofing them...

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq@apple.com) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                       <http://www.solutions.apple.com/>