Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: ADMIN: list topics/flame wars
From: mcb @ greatcircle . com (Michael C. Berch)
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 15:40:23 +0000
To: list-managers

I've been pretty laissez-faire heretofore about people remaining
on topic and personal attacks and flame wars, but things are getting
out of hand.  Please remember that the following topics are
appropriate for List-Managers:

-- List management policy discussions
-- List management and mailer software discussions and comparison
-- Relationships between/among Internet lists, ISPs, and the online services
-- Network security (etc.) ONLY as it relates to list management
-- etc.

The following topics are NOT appropriate for List-Managers, and
should be taken elsewhere or to private mail:

-- Personal attacks and flames
-- General network security issues
-- General discussions of spam and similar problems
-- Discussions of AOL internal policies, etc., unrelated to list management
-- Software dicksize wars (pardon my French)
-- Economics of the Internet
-- Computational Semiotics (where the *heck* did THAT thing come from?)

Are we all on the same page here?  Good.

Michael C. Berch
List-Managers List Manager
Great Circle Associates

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Educating large masses of users (was: Re: fresh horror