Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Vexing listserv problem
From: Norbert Bollow <nb @ pobox . com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:00:53 +0100
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> From: Bryan Fullerton <bryanf@home.samurai.com>
> Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 05:38:39 -0500 (EST)
> Sender: list-managers-owner@GreatCircle.COM
>

> > Good thing too. Because I am getting a deluge of this mail from
> > mostly LSoft LISTSERVs. Another example is appended below. It seems
> > the listinfo guy is creating a mail loop by sending requests from
> > list of listservs and then routing the replies to the same list of
> > listservs. I don't know if this is maliciousness or merely
> > cluelessness.
>
> I've gotten 30-50 messages from LISTSERV's coming into my server in
> the past 12 hours.  Fortunately, I'm running majordomo 1.94.1, which
> appears to be smarter than LISTSERV is...

Same thing here. However since I've been doing dome work on Majordomo
(my version does reliable handling of "bounces") I've been logging all
messages to majordomo@genesis.acu.edu (with headers). Someone seems to
have a list of many listservs, majordomos, etc. Through some error, he
sent a message to that address, which caused the majordomos and listservs
to respond.. some or all of those responses went to that submission
address of that list of listservs, majordomos, etc., causing an avanlanche
of garbage e-mail. Below is a copy of my message to the postmaster of
what I believe to be the guilty site. I haven't received a reply yet.

May blessings from the eternal God surprise and overtake you!
                                                                 Norbert.