Subject: Re: centra.com in message ads?
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:30:47 -0700
To: "Linda B. Merims" <lbm @ ici . net>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 4:32 AM -0700 4/17/97, Linda B. Merims wrote:

>My listserver has a firm "no ads" policy.  I had to tell the
>people from hotmail.com, all of whose posts were coming in with:

I generally have a "no ads without permission" policy, but I've learned
over time that trying to administer signatures is a losing proposition,
so as long as the signature is "reasonable" (not long, not profane,
etc) I chalk those up to individual results. The guy who, for instance,
had a (I kid you not) 200 line ascii graphic celebrating Christ's birth
for Easter does not qualify as "reasonable", no matter how he argued...

I mean, *my* signature might be construed by some as either "too long"
, or "advertising", based on the occasional yahoo mail I get (in my
case, since I was the one who originally wrote the document that
defined acceptable signature length, I once in a while have someone
toss that at me and bitch, to which I point out "it's been almost 15
years since I wrote that. Things change." but I digress...)

What I don't tolerate in signatures -- long stuff, ascii graphics, and
copyright restrictions that can't be enforced on the list (in the Apple
world, some folks put copyrights disallowing distribution through
microsoft's networks. I have to tell them the only way I can enforce
that restriction is by cutting off their posting access to my lists, so
if they insist on using it, I'll have to shut off their use... You
wanna see screams of disbelief? grin....) -- the hotmail stuff doesn't
bother me, and is far from worth the hassle attempted enforcement would
cause, so I ignore it. But if they did something that was ten or 15
lines deep, I'd jump on it. A three line blurb isn't worth fighting
over, IMHO, unless I'm looking for a reason to kick out the domain.

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq@apple.com) Apple IS&T Mail List Gnome
                       <http://www.solutions.apple.com/>

 Plaidworks Consulting (chuqui@plaidworks.com) <http://www.plaidworks.com/>