Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1998)

Subject: Re: ``Reply-To'' Munging Considered Harmful (was: Re: from a "centralist" to a "federal" list culture)
From: "D. J. Bernstein" <djb @ cr . yp . to>
Date: 21 Nov 1998 16:36:58 -0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Christian Weisgerber writes:
> However, the author of the original message is also
> on the list and thus will receive your reply twice.

Solution, part 1: The author's MUA, knowing that the author is on the
list, adds Mail-Followup-To showing the list name.

Solution, part 2: Your MUA automatically sends followups to
Mail-Followup-To instead of From+To+Cc.

This is a simple matter of programming. It's already supported by mutt,
for example. Ask your favorite MUA authors about Mail-Followup-To!

In the meantime, I've also set up some active short-term protection for
my own mailbox:

   |bouncesaying 'See' iftocc in `cat .lists`

But that merely shifts the suffering. Mail-Followup-To eliminates it.

1000 recipients, 28.8 modem, 10 seconds.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: unity (was reply-to munging)