Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1998)

Subject: munging options, RFC2369, joys of homebrew
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 00:48:15 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

When I wrote about munging,

T> Why not leave it up to the user, singular?

Bill Houle asked,

H> Curious for a list-manager opinion: what if Reply-To were a per-user
H> attribute on each list? That is, if the list-owner could set a
H> default preference for the list, but each individual could alter
H> according to taste?

Since my list routines are entirely homebrew, I had no problem setting it up.

H> ... would you as list manager not like your global list setting to be
H> overridden, or is it a good thing?

It doesn't bother me for a user to select RTL instead of RTS, but if it did,
I wouldn't offer the choice.  It seems logical to me that in any case where
the listowner wants all subscribers to have it the same way, whether out of
a decision that the default is the right way for that list or of a philosophy
that the default is the right way for all lists, then the listowner should be
able to turn off the option.

On the only remaining list that I run, the default is RTS; it is difficult to
tell how many people prefer it and how many stick with it out of lassitude.
Only one subscriber is in RTL mode; there were three, but I kicked one off
for the content of his submissions, and another I moved to RTS (and told him
why) when he sent the list an off-topic personal message intended for another
subscriber.  A month later he unsubbed without offering a reason, so I do not
know whether my changing his mode had anything to do with it.  Nobody has
switched to RTL in at least the last two years, and it has been more than two
years since the last time the remaining RTL-mode subscriber posted.

John Evershed asked,

E> Does anyone know which MLM software supports these headers (or
E> alternatively definitely doesn't support them yet)?

Again, the joys of homebrew routines: my list supports them, and surely some
MLM packages have hooks where a listowner or where the system list admini-
strator can slip in a routine to add them.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: The Reply To issue (loops)