Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:54:38 -0700
To: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>Memail.com has just begun switching their elists from having the address
>of the elist in the message TO header to having the subscribed address
>in the message TO header.  Personally, I'm disappointed because I think
>only personal email should have my address in the message TO header

I'm planning on doing this, too.

>For me personally it also screws up my email filtering, because the
>first distinction I make is to test whether a message is personal email,
>i.e., addressed directly to me.  Elists are just not personal email.

I think that's a false assumption that you're filtering on. Instead,
I test to see if something is a list, by testing whether the list
server sets an appropriate header (ususally Sender) to flag what list
it came from.

>Hence my question.  Do you think it is appropriate for elists to address
>their messages as if they were personal email?

I think it's appropriate, but I also think you're also looking at the
use of the header in a way that shouldn't be assumed here.

Three big reasons why I see this as a big win:

1) differentiate the mail lists from spam, since most spam Bcc:s.

2) makes the subscribed address explicit to the user and easy to find, which
	is a huge plus for large lists full of naive users.

3) personalizes the email. It may only be a small step in personalization, but
	it's a big one.

Be just, and fear not.