Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: [nanook@eskimo.com: Netzero.Net Cause Mail Problems]
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ magpage . com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 18:39:02 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Spotted this on Usenet -- haven't seen this myself yet, but I've only
got a handful of netzero.net folks on my lists, all of whom (I believe)
are actively reading their mail.

---Rsk

----- Forwarded message from Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com> -----

> From: Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com>
> Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 05:46:07 -0700
> Subject: Netzero.Net Cause Mail Problems
> Newsgroups: lobby,announcements,news.admin.net-abuse.email
>

>      Netzero has apparently implimented a brilliant policy of bouncing e-mail
> that sits in a netzero mailbox for more than six months.
>
>      This caused severe problems this morning as mail from a list was all
> returned by netzero enmasse and severely overloaded the servers, exhausting the
> process tables with smartlist and procmail processes trying to remove the
> affected address from the dist.
>
>      Problem is the address was already removed, but netzero just kept on
> sending messages back that were sent six months ago.
>
>      I've recompiled the kernels to increase the size of the process table, but
> if this does not resolve the problem and netzero does stop this absurdity, it
> may be necessary to block all incoming e-mail from netzero in order to
> preserve the functionality of our mail servers.

----- End forwarded message -----

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: PINE Filtering /& Subject header