Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2000)

Subject: Re: HTML Based Email (AOL 6.0)
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 09:01:53 -0800
To: allan @ msic . dia . mil
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 06:54 AM 11/1/00, Allan Newsome wrote:
>Just so we all know, AOL 6.0 does NOT give it's users the option of
>sending email in "Plain Text" format.

800 pound gorilla.

>This is a problem for both users and managers because people using AOL
>6.0 will not be able to post messages to majordomo lists.

Sure they will!
Demime home page:
Demime perl script:
Demime config file:
Demime email list:

This script can be installed in the majordomo alias pipe, and not
only reduces HTML to formatted plain text, it strips binary attachments
and flattens plain text attachments.

>Is there a way for list managers who do not own the server which is
>running majordomo to be able to avoid the "HTML" problem?  How can I
>make this a non-issue for my subscribers?

I've been using it for many months on a couple dozen lists, without
a failure of any kind. LOVE IT! I also put it in the pipe to the
server command parser, so HTML does not screw up sub/unsub requests.
It's NOT specific to any server software, it just scrubs the email.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: HTML Based Email (AOL 6.0)