Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2000)

Subject: Re: HTML Based Email (AOL 6.0)
From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii @ openpgp . net>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 06:58:54 -0500
To: Allan Newsome <allan @ msic . dia . mil>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In <3A0088C0.63BD1E90@msic.dia.mil>, on 11/01/00
   at 03:18 PM, Allan Newsome <allan@msic.dia.mil> said:

>One thing I don't think most of you picked up on is that I am the owner
>of the list and I run the list but I do not own the servers the list runs
>on so I don't have root access to be able to install and run Demime.  Am
>I miss understanding or can users with ftp access to their cgi-bin use
>Demime?  I don't think I/they can....let me know if I'm wrong.

You need to get a better shell account. :)

The shell account I have allows me to telnet into the machine and do prety
much anything I want within the confines of my user rights & quota.

Find out if your account is running procmail. For those who don't know
procmail is a *nix mail filtering program. It is used to process incomming
mail before it is delivered. You can run DeMIME from procmail, it will
convert the message before it is sent to majordomo.

William H. Geiger III      http://www.openpgp.net
Geiger Consulting

Data Security & Cryptology Consulting
Programming, Networking, Analysis