Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 2000)

Subject: Re: How to get reply-all to work
From: "Roger Smith" <roger @ jadebox . com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 10:48:19 -0500
To: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

> I am writing a mailing-list manager and am trying to figure out how to set
> the headers so that:
>
> - the client's reply command causes mail to go to the original sender
> - the client's reply-all command causes mail to go to the original sender
> and the list

How "Reply All" works is up to the mail program.  Usually the command sends
a reply message to the addresses listed in the "Reply-To" and "From" fields.
You should set the "Reply-To" to the list's address and leave the "From" of
each message set to the address of the person who posted the message.

> The problem is I'm switching to using VERPs

I don't think VERP has anything to do with getting "Reply All" to work.  As
I understand it, VERP changes the address in the envelope of the message,
not the address in the message's header.  You wouldn't need to send two
messages.

-- Roger
Arrow Mailing List Server for Windows: http://www.jadebox.com/arrow/