Subject: Re: Questions for those who have this information
From: James M Galvin <galvin+list-managers @ eListX . com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 14:00:09 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
To: List Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . com>

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, J C Lawrence wrote:

    On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:20:35 -0500 Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> wrote:

    > I disagree.  DSN's report the final recipient, not necessarily the
    > address that is in your mailing list.

    Quite.  Many things would be far more useful if alias translations
    were reported in the Received: headers.  (I do it here under Exim,
    which makes filtering mail from multiple sources (eg root,
    webmaster, postmaster, newsmaster, listmaster, etc) far easier.

To be fair, since I mentioned Bigfoot in my response to Vivek's message,
this is also true of their service.  But this misses the point.

Automated processing of failures by having to parse Received: headers is
unnecessarily complex and doesn't work all the time.  Although
frequently trivial to do manually that is not a solution that scales
well.

Further, alias expansions in Received headers only works when their is
one recipient.  This is true if you are using VERPS (or a moral
equivalent) or if you are only delivering to one recipient at a
receiving site.  So, again, this does not scale and is a HUGE
performance lose.

In contrast, if DSNs were used automatic processing is almost trivial
once you've written the parsing code.

Jim