Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 2003)

Subject: Re: So I got this 411 spam this morning...
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 20:19:46 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 11:53 AM 2003-05-01 -0400, Charlie Summers wrote:

>    I agree with your assessment, but even if the GreatCircle archives were
>"locked-down," there are the unofficial web-based archives we've discussed
>here in the past to deal with. Checking the URL you provided (searching
>Google for my email address coupled with "list-managers"), you'll see that
>only TWO of those links point to GreatCircle. Others point to
>mail-archive.com's archive of this list, and yet others point to various
>"unofficial" archives of the procmail mailing list (where I mentioned this
>list). And although not searchable by Google, apparently, we know there is a
>Yahoo! "mirror" of this list that someone not at GreatCircle set up.

And this is why my TOS prohibit any public archives of the lists I run on
my servers, and why I shut them down whenever I find them.

This address is hopelessly compromised so I use it to post to lists with
archaic policies.

>    The problem is MUCH more wide-spread than just official archives. On the
>lists I control, there are NO web-based archives (although there are
>mail-based archives that may be retrieved by subscribers only). But I'm
>constantly on the lookout for user-operated archives, and actually firewall
>off the "known" archivers like mail-archive.com from sending any mail into
>the list server. Still, any subscriber who wants to "help" can easily set up
>their own archives, which once cached by Google live forever.

Actually, I suspect that you can actually get them out of google.

--
He said: "There are people from Baath here reporting everything that
goes on. There are cameras here recording our faces. If the Americans