Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:47:14 -0400
To: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On 13 Aug 2003 at 8:04, JC Dill wrote:

> Since then I've received 2 forwarded emails regarding another subscriber's
> vacation autoresponder that is responding *to the author* for each post to
> the list....
>
> I see a couple of issues:
>
> 1)  The messages are not going to the list, but rather to the author.  In
> some situations, it IS appropriate to let a list poster know that you will
> not be reading and replying to their post in a timely manner.

I don't think this is correct -- as a poster to the list, I don't think that
there should be any expectation that any particular list-member will read my
message promptly [indeed, if at all], and so I *DONT* want to see vacation
messages for list postings under any circumstances.  If I care that a
particular person should see a particular post, I'll address a personal copy to
them [and in that case, of course, the 'vacation' is just right].

So IMO, 'vacation' should never send back a notice other than to an individual
for a directly-addressed message.

Consider: if you have a list that has 100,000 people on it, if, say, 1/100 of
them are on vacation at any given time, do you really want 1000 'I'm out of the
office' messages from folk most of whom you've never heard of and know nothing
about??

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA