Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Jim Poston <poston @ ml1 . net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:51:12 -0700
To: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>

On 13 Aug 2003 at 8:04, JC Dill wrote:

> Weighing these 2 issues, my present gut feeling is that I should not take
> any action if the vacation program is only sending *one* response to each
> poster, but that I should set the miscreant to nomail if the vacation
> program sends multiple responses when someone is posting multiple times.

I agree.  One vacation message to the author is OK, but unnecessary.
Presumably the author was addressing the entire list, not that particular
vacationing member.  The author doesn't need to know that one list member
is on vacation.  He might not even know him.  I wouldn't sanction this.

Any vacation message to the list is forbidden and should be sanctioned.

--
Jim
poston@ml1.net

<< .      Every person you meet knows something you don't. Learn.     .>>

--
Jim
poston@ml1.net

<< .                 Don't you hate when that happens??               .