Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: <mfidelman @ ntcorp . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:16:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Cc: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, JC Dill wrote:

> (although they do work at ISPs).  A few days ago a vacation program started
> replying to every message posted, sending the reply back *to the list* (not
> to the message author).  I posted to the list that I had set the
> miscreant's subscription to nomail and would lart him when he returned from
> his vacation.

don't you hate when that happens - sigh...

> Since then I've received 2 forwarded emails regarding another subscriber's
> vacation autoresponder that is responding *to the author* for each post to
> the list. Since these messages are not going *to the list*, should I, as
> list owner, take any action (set their subscription to nomail, or ?)
> against the subscriber?

personally, I don't do anything in these cases - this is not unreasonable
behavior for a vacation autoresponder, and personally, there are times
that I post something to a list and want to know that certain people
haven't seen it -- the impact on the list and the subscribers is minimal
(as compared to autoresponses that cause mail loops)

Miles

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman@civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"