Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 10:48:06 -0700
To: listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

At 09:29 AM 8/13/2003, J C Lawrence wrote:

> > What I am seeking is not so much "the answer" as to make sure I've
> > asked all the right questions to help me come up with the answer for
> > my list.
>
>For me its a question of what expectations I have of my list posters,
>and what responsibilities they assume by being a list member.

I'd like to make a clarification about my role here.  I've been
administering this list for about 5 years, but I'm not the list owner.  I
do have a lot of say about what goes on (for instance, we recently migrated
from majordomo to mailman, at my request), but for changes or clarification
of list policy I have to come up with reasons why I want to set a certain
policy and then present those reasons to the list owner and get his buy-in
before implementing the policy.  So, I can't just make policy "because it's
my list and I say so".  I have to be sure that I've considered all possible
sides of the issue and that the policy I want to implement is really the
best policy for the list as a whole, for the community as a whole.

Thanks to everyone for your replies, they have been very helpful for me!

jc