Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:28:59 -0700
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>,listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 12:09  PM, JC Dill wrote:

> At 11:11 AM 8/13/2003, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>
>>  Is your presence on that list so absolutely crucial that it won't
>> survive your vacation or something?
>
> For some lists, yes.  That's why I don't automatically assume that any
> OoO reply to any list is always bad, you have to look at the whole
> picture.

actually, I'd argue that under most circumstances, THOSE lists need an
explicit "I'm going to be gone from x to x" message, since if it's that
important, the users probably won't be happy finding out you're gone
AFTER you leave and WHEN they need you. I still think a mailbot's the
wrong way to inform folks of that -- they need a pro-active warning,
not a "oh, by the way, forgot to tell you..."