Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:34:34 -0700
To: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>,listmanagers <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

my policy is simple: if you mailbot a mailing list message, you get
unsubscribed to make it stop. It doesn't matter to me if it's to the
list or to posters that report it to me. It's wrong, so I'll stop
delivery because of it. When they come back from vacation, they can
resubscribe if they want.

If it happens from the same account twice, they can't resubscribe a
third time. Once is a mistake. Twice is not caring.

I used to try to be nice about this, and found it got me nowhere.
Unsubscriptions and warnings seem to be needed to effect change, or at
least protect my list users from those who won't change. And as bill
cosby so nicely noted once, "parents don't want justice. they want
quiet". I'll take quiet for $20.