Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: list policies about vacation programs
From: Tom Neff <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 08:42:20 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

--On Thursday, August 14, 2003 8:04 PM -0700 Chuq Von Rospach
<chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
> (specifically: [...] I've always wondered about: when a group of people
> on a list get into a topic and really start a lively conversation,
> someone invariably pops up and tells them all to shut up; it's as if they
> think the list is there to be subscribed to, but not really  used. [...])

That's like wondering why some people join lists on concrete topics like
Beekeeping and use them to post messages wondering about aspects of list
philosophy.

Mind you, concrete is not much used in Beekeeping.  The alkaline quality of
the cement discourages hive formation.

Personally, I've always wondered why on this list, and almost no other I'm
on, every Reply requires machete'ing back a wild thicket of Cc's and
multiple To's for various people who have recently spoken in a thread.
It's like we (a bunch of list managers) are trying to do it the
PRE-listserv way, with hand managed recipient lists, and occasionally
remembering to toss in the list itself as an afterthought.