Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2003)

Subject: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed
From: "Steven Holton" <sholton @ nortelnetworks . com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:57:59 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

"Bernie Cosell" <bernie@fantasyfarm.com> writes:

> I don't mind *advice* or even handy tools to deal with certain
> classes of stuff automatically, but for me, at least, I want
> the decision on what to do with email addressed to me to reside
> with *ME*.

My sentiments as well, but I hope that doesn't make me sound
like a SPAM advocate.

If AOL can decide it's not in my interest to receive the latest
Nigerian scam, they can just as easily decide it's not in my
interest to receive the latest [list-managers] postings.

Perhaps more to the point, if AOL can demand pre-approval (and
perhaps a registration/use fee) for legitimate lists like
[list-managers] it's only a matter of time before we see
"legitimate" SPAMers gaining the pre-approval and paying the
registration/use fee.

Then were right back where we are today, expect the SPAMers
(who can afford to pay the registration fee) will be in a
much stronger position than [list-managers] and kin who
won't want to foot such a bill.

We (collectively) lost this game back in Auguat 93, when we
(collectively) first allowed commercial use of the Internet.

--
Steve Holton

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL blocking --- lawsuit filed