Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1993)

Subject: Re: bogus email
From: avolio @ TIS . COM
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 93 15:35:48 -0500
To: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Cc: tl @ poseidon . smsc . sony . com, firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

I sent the previous message basically to support Brent's comments about PEM
before resending it in clear text...

1. You can get verifiable and certifiable mail today.
2. You need to coordinate with other people today since few people use it.
3. If it is a business requirement for certain types of mail, you can use it
   today.  The technology works.
4. It won't be generally useful until generally used.

Fred

The message I sent, unenhanced:

 AA22642 @
 mycroft .
 GreatCircle .

> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 93 10:57:35 -0800
> From: Brent Chapman <brent @
 GreatCircle .

> Basicly, there's nothing effective you can do.
> There are groups at work on things like "privace enhanced email", but
> I think (personal opinion) that it's going to be at least several
> years before those efforts gain enough wide-spread adoption to make a
> difference.

Hi.  I writing from a place which is involved with PEM, so let me add my
personal opinion.  While I agree with Brent's comment about "wide-spread
adoption," PEM is usable today and can be used person to person or site to
site, not only for the obvious privacy of encrypted mail, but for the
verifiability of a signed and "check-summed" message.

In other words, while you cannot prove anything about an un-PEM'ed message,
you can use various implementations of PEM today to certify and verify
mail content and sender.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: bogus email