Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(February 1993)

Subject: Re: bogus email
From: randy @ psg . com (Randy Bush)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 93 21:23:18 PST
To: mjr @ TIS . COM (Marcus J Ranum)
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> 	Unless you're talking to something someone just set up that
> claims cheerfully that any and all connections on that machine are
> owned by Rahul Desi. In other words, how do I know I am talking to
> an identity server at all?

He never said you did.  What he said was you know you are getting reasonable
information or talking to a cracked machine.  The completely distrustful
disgards the information from the former.  Thanks, we'll take what we can
get in this messy world.

> 	If you're running a service that claims to be an "Identification"
> service, it should be something that I can trust, or it's a toy and
> you should shut it down. Ident says, "Trust Me."

The completely trustful are equal fools to the completely paranoid.