Subject: Re: DNS/libresolv/4.1.3/dlopen ld complaints
From: rsk @ gynko . circ . upenn . edu (Rich Kulawiec)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 06:59:31 -0500 (EST)
To: smh @ netserv . com (Scott M. Hinnrichs)
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM, smh @ netserv . com
Posted-date: Thu, 18 Mar 1993 06:59:31 -0500 (EST)

>This must be due to something obvious I am doing wrong.  The patched libc.so
>is working fine and the binary ld creates works too!  But, many makefiles
>won't do a build even when using make -k, and it is a real pain... anyone
>seen this already??

Yep, I saw this as soon as I installed 4.1.3 and the resolving libc.
Since I also installed many Sun patches at the same time, I speculated
that one of them may have been to blame, but I've backed out pieces
of each one without being able to restore the original functionality.
(For example, one of the patches replaces /usr/bin/ld, so I tried restoring
the original ld.)  I've been taking shots at this problem for 3 months,
and I figure it's probably something dead simple, but boy howdy, I sure
haven't been able to crack it.  Like the original poster, I'd appreciate
a hand; using the resolver sure makes using lots of the firewalling code
easier, but it's making life a little difficult for the other folks.

---Rsk