Subject: Re: DNS/libresolv/4.1.3/dlopen ld complaints
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 09:01:46 -0800
To: "Scott M. Hinnrichs" <smh @ netserv . com>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

# Well, this may not *really* be a firewall problem, but I am getting this
# problem building code for my firewall.  I haven't lived under a DNS
# patched libc.so for while now.  I just installed the libresolv.a objs
# in libc.so and now I am getting complaints from ld when making source:
#
# cc -O -DDEBUG dig.c -L`pwd` -lresolv list.o -o dig
# ld: Undefined symbol
#    _dlopen
#    _dlclose
#    _dlsym
#    __mbstowcs_xccs
#    __mbtowc_xccs
#    __wcstombs_xccs
#    __wctomb_xccs
#
# This must be due to something obvious I am doing wrong.  The patched libc.so
# is working fine and the binary ld creates works too!  But, many makefiles
# won't do a build even when using make -k, and it is a real pain... anyone
# seen this already??
#
# Thanks, Scott

In /usr/lib/shlib.etc/Makefile, add a "-ldl" flag to the end of the
"ld" command for the "libc.so" target, then rebuild the shared
library.  That will take care of the first problem.

I'll bet the second problem is caused by not renaming
"xccs.multibyte." to "xccs.multibyte.o" after using "ar" to unpack
"libc_pic.a".  There are three files in libc_pic.a that have long
filenames, that have to be renamed before the shared library is built.
If I recall correctly, the "README" file lists some but not all of
them.  The three files are "rpc_commondata.", "rpc_dtablesize.", and
"xccs.multibyte."; all need to be renamed to end in ".o" instead of
just ".".

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: proxy software? itelnet/iftp? packet screens? X?