Subject: Re: Packet filtering and FTP
From: smb @ research . att . com
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 93 15:04:31 EST
To: "David I. Dalva" <dave @ TIS . COM>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

	Well, Marcus Ranum and I discussed it and decided to hack the
	ftp client to use ports between IPPORT_USERRESERVED (5000) and
	10000 for ftp-data.  Then I can reintroduce "established" for
	ports < 5000.

	This seems to work fine, but we'll see if there are any future
	problems with the BSD ftp client on SunOS.

I just reread this note.  Please -- save yourself some grief and use
something like 7000-12000.  You really don't want to allow 6000..6000+n
in past your firewall....

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: DNS/libresolv/4.1.3/dlopen ld complaints