Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: Re: monitoring unused ports
From: Steve Kennedy <steve @ gbnet . org>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 1994 03:26:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: e-commerce . com!jimc @ cellnet . co . uk
Cc: genua . de!Bernhard . Schneck @ cellnet . co . uk, greatcircle . com!firewalls @ cellnet . co . uk

According to Jim Carroll
> Bernhard Schneck writes:
> > One way to see everything is to use a box where you can log failed
> > connections or filtered packets.
> > Several router manufactureres have this now, or you can use something
> > like the TIS FWTK on top of an operating system with source code (and
> > add the logging yourself).
> The only router manufacturer that I'm aware of that can log (at least
> via syslog) any activity would be the NSC router.  Since I'm
> unfamiliar with how they implement their logging, I don't know whether
> it can be configured to report connection attempts on blocked ports.

The commercial versions of the KarlBridge/KarlBrouter can do syslogging

Steve

--
 ___  |_  ___        ___           Flat 2, 43 Howitt Road
(___  |  (___) \  / (___)                    Belsize Park
 ___) |  (___   \/  (___                   London NW3 4LU
[MIME OK]                         tel +44-(0)171 483 1169
steve @
 gbnet .
 {com,org,net} home (or steve @
 tel .