Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: Re: MAC spoofing by non-IP protocols
From: lavondes @ tidtest . total . fr (Michel Lavondes)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 94 11:17:31 GMT
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Howard Berkowitz wrote :

> IMHO, we need to get away from manually set MAC addresses.
> Can anyone cite a need, other than compatibility with older
> software, why we must have them?

They're actually very useful when it comes to troubleshooting level-1 or -2
LAN problems, as you can code in such things as machine location/type/etc ...

Also, should you use address-based filters of any kind for protocols where the
MAC address is part of the network-layer address (eg, IPX), you won't have to
go through your filters each time you replace a NIC ...
--
Michel Lavondes
E-Mail : lavondes @