Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: Firewall OpSys
From: Jerry . Cashman @ asx . decus . com . au
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 16:19 +1000 (AEST)
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Hi all,

I am looking at connecting my site, (VAX & AXP VMS) to the Inet in the
near future and am therefore looking at FireWall systems to protect the link.

I have looked a a couple of systems. Most are UNIX based, however one is
built around VMS.

The contact for the VMS tools has said that installing a VMS based firewall
gives a large advantage from day one, as the majority of nasty holes we have
to protect against are either part of UNIX itself or UNIX app's like SENDMAIL.

This makes a fair bit of sense to me (a VMS systems manager).

What I know of UNIX could be written on the proverbial "head of a pin" and the
idea of trying to protect my network using tools based around an OS that I
don't know well is a bit daunting.

Would anyone care to comment on this logic or have experiences to offer?

+-----------------------------------o0o---------------------------------------+
| Jerry .
 Cashman @
 asx .
 decus .
 com .
| Tel +61 2 369-6566		     "Who is this 'GENERAL PROTECTION' anyway |	      						|
| Fax +61 2 369-6500			 and why is it always his FAULT?"     |

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Finger over proxy