Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

From: Joel P McKenzie <MCKENZIE @ WCUVAX1 . WCU . EDU>
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 1994 08:31:20 -0500 (EST)
To: FireWalls <firewalls @ greatcircle . com>

Hi,

I'm brand new to this list and I'm just beginning to understand the
complexity of firewalls. The issue that has brought me to this point is
the wiring project for all of our residence halls. We will be putting in
3500 possible connections in the next few years, and we are concerned
with authenticating (and possibly logging) student access to the Internet.

We will probably use intelligent hubs that support harware
authentication, but we have some that want the students to be mobile
with their computers within the dorm network. This is where the problem
arises, due to my limited knowledge. Is there any "firewall" type of
product that makes a user authenticate before it will route traffic
through?

Depending on the answer I get to that question, I will follow up with a
few more questions later.

Thanks.
	- Joel P McKenzie @ Western Carolina University
	- mckenzie @