Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: Re: SUN's new firewall product? (fwd)
From: David Kovar <kovar @ NDA . COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 00:02:21 -0500 (EST)
To: tom @ pserv1 . dot . state . az . us
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> > I have recently heard that SUN is reselling a firewall product called
> > Checkpoint.  The SunExpress product info mentions "Firewall-1".
> > Is anyone familiar with this package?  Comments would be helpful.
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > -- Kelly --
>
> Humm, I could be wrong here, I thought Checkpoint was a software
> product written by third party, and sold by Sun.  I believe their
> native product is igateway (or something).  I looked at the product
> literature for igateway, decided against it as it appeared to require
> modified client software.

  Checkpoint markets a product called "Firewall-1" and sells it through
other sources. Sun, several months ago, picked the product to redistribute
and is currently going through an evaluation/testing phase with it.
I believe they expect to start selling it by the end of this quarter.

  Firewall-1 is a dynamic packet filtering firewall designed to run
on a Sparc (they recommenda a Classic.) It supports logging, filters, and
some other features. The filters are dynamic in the sense that if you open
up an outbound connection, it'll tag the back connection as belonging
to your session and allow it through.

  I don't have the literature with me or I'd provide more details on
its functionality.

  It costs $15,000 for the full package, and $5,000 for the 50 node
package. There are add ons that support an interface with Cisco routers
and some other features.

  You can check the ftp archive for more details, and for Checkpoint's
phone number.

-David