Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: PORT restriction
From: bret @ real . com (Bret McDanel)
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 09:12:21 -0500
To: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

I am not sure if there is a standard way to do this (I asked a few people and
they said no, so I am asking here)..

On a Solaris 2.3 machine I was wanting to restrict all outgoing connections
to port 6667..  I know that netstat will tell you that the connection is
to that port, so there appears to be a way to find it out, but I dont know
how..

As you might have guessed I am trying to make sure that irc isnt used..
The telnet part of it isnt that hard, since all you have to do is
modify a small ammount of code to restrict that port, but the irc clients
can be installed by everyone and anyone..

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, possibly some already program
that does this, I'd sure appreciate it..

Thanx..